Mosquitoes in Singapore thrive due to our humid climate and frequent rains. If safety precautions are not taken, these mosquitoes can breed easily in any household, school and even offices. Mosquitoes breed by laying their eggs on stagnant water in flower pots, roofs and bamboo pole holders, reproducing at a rapid rate. While mosquitoes are generally harmless, some species of mosquitoes such as the Aedes mosquito carry deadly diseases that may lead to widespread epidemics. As such, mosquitoes pose a significant threat to Singaporeans and it is for our own well being that appropriate mosquito control measures are put in place to prevent our premises from becoming a breeding ground.
Determining Mosquito Bites
Mosquito bites are often itchy and mildly swollen due to the skin’s reaction to a bite. Some mosquitoes may produce allergens that trigger allergies in the victim, including swelling, itching and hives. Most of these bites do not cause disease, but may still irritate the skin. Bites from a mosquito may sometimes be mistaken for Bed Bug bites, but there are some inherent differences that may allow you to easily distinguish the two.
If you notice flu-like symptoms such as fever, headache, muscle and joint aches, rashes and bruises from minor knocks and bumps along with mosquito bites, these may be signs of Dengue fever. Dengue fever is a result of a dengue infection caused by the bites of an Aedes mosquito which in turn causes the body to bleed easily. The disease may be further complicated if it worsens to a Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever or Dengue Shock Syndrome if it is left untreated. While Dengue infection is not directly contagious from person to person, it is spread by the Aedes mosquito, making the people who live in close proximity of the victim more susceptible to getting bitten by the mosquito and thus infected.
DIY Mosquito Control Measures You can Take
Mosquitoes can be deprived of a breeding ground by simply ensuring that the environment is free of areas with stagnant water. Stagnant water may be found in multiple areas such as pails, the surface of hardened soil, plant pot plates, roof gutters, bamboo pole holders, vases and even on the surface of fallen leaves. To ensure that your environment is free from mosquito infestations, you may perform the following steps:
- Ensure that all plant pot plates, pails, watering cans and trays are overturned when unused. Water may also accumulate on the underside of these trays and pails, especially between the ridges.
- Change the water in flower vases frequently to ensure that they do not become breeding ground for mosquitoes. Mosquito larvae may also remain on the stalks of the flowers if not cleaned properly, so it is important to ensure that the stalks are clean of mosquito eggs and larvae as well.
- Add sufficient amounts of granular insecticide into vases, roof gutters and gully traps. Mosquitoes cannot lay their eggs in insecticide-contaminated water.
- Ensure that scupper drains are not blocked so that excess water may be easily drained.
- Clear fallen leaves in the garden regularly to prevent water from being accumulated on their surfaces. These leaves may also block scupper drains, preventing excess water from draining easily.
- Empty excess water from toothbrush holders and ensure that the bathroom is clear of excess water at all times.
- Put down the toilet covers before going on a vacation so that mosquitoes cannot use them as breeding ground.
Why Engage Professional Help?
While homeowners may take precautionary measures to prevent their homes from becoming a mosquito breeding ground, mosquitoes may still breed in your home due to carelessness. Since many of these cases are due to the homeowner’s own negligence, it is difficult for these homeowners to determine the source of mosquito breeding. As such, it is important to call upon a professional pest control company to inspect and identify all potential breeding ground as well as put measures in place to control and eradicate your mosquito problem once and for all.
Why Top Pest Control?
Top Pest Control, with its many years of experience, offers the most effective and efficient pest control services in Singapore, including professional mosquito control services. Our staff are all well-trained in the practice of mosquito control and are very dedicated to providing quality service that is affordable yet effective. We have a great track record of satisfied customers and consider ourselves one of the finest pest control providers in town. But don’t take our word for it, try our services to see for yourself!
Enquire about our Mosquito Control Services
To find out more about the available mosquito control packages or to make an appointment, simply call us at (+65) 6589 8835 now.